People across south-west Queensland are 'Talking Rubbish' with us in a bid to keep our roadside's clean.
Meet our Clean Up Champions (click names below):
- Allora's own Rio Olympian (Discus) Matthew Denny - and watch Matthew in action.
- Millmerran's Landcare Coordinator Bec Kirby
- Miles graziers and Landcare members Jack and Rose Asplin
- Nolan's Interstate Transport truck driver Paul Carrington
- Wallumbilla paralympian and personal trainer Darren Thrupp
- Goondiwindi Regional Councillor and businessman Cr Rob MacKenzie
Follow the campaign on: Rethink Facebook page.
Read all the details in our Media Release.
Let’s work together to keep our roadsides litter free:
- Keep your rubbish (including apple cores and food!) in your car
- Use bins provided at rest stops
- On Sunday, 5 March, 2017 - Join Clean Up Australia Day or a community clean up with QMDC (see the 'Want to help?' link below).
- Adopt-a-spot! A perfect opportunity for your work or community group to come together. Go straight to the website or call QMDC's Matthew Brown on 0427 982 149.
- See it, Report it, Stop it: Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
Want to help? Join a Community Clean Up!
3rd - 6th March, 2017: Yelarbon - a whole of community clean up over 4 days! Details here.
5 March, 2017: St George - a roadside litter pick up on the Carnarvon Highway - sponsored by JJ Richards and Balonne Shire Council. Details here.
Organise one! QMDC has a trailer full of bags, gloves, signs and water bottles, and can help you sort a permit. All you need is to identify a local litter hot spot. Send an email to QMDC's Matthew Brown on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0427 982 149. Aternative contact is our Toowoomba office on: 07 4637 6200.
We'd like to thank Colquhouns - Specialists in bags and sacks - in Toowoomba, Queensland - for generously printing our Rethink Regional Rubbish collection bags.
'Talking Rubbish' as part of our 'Rethink Regional Rubbish' project - builds on the success of the South West Region Roadside Litter Project (SWRRLP) and continues our partnership with the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, the Australian Packaging Covenant and the six councils of the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin as members of the Regional Waste Group.
SWRRLP was the first targeted regional litter campaign in Queensland and produced a public education program known as 'Love Queensland, Let's keep it clean'. You can see permanent signage (as pictured below) roadside on our region's major highways.
Thank you to our campaign funding partners:
Thank you to the six regional councils who are supporting this campaign:
17th Australasian Vertebrate Pest Conference - Canberra
01 May 2017
Innovative Solutions for Vertebrate Pest Animal Management, May 1-4, 2017 Where: Hotel Realm, 18 National Circuit, next to the Parliamentary Triangle in Canberra ACT. Welcome function - Monday, 1st May 2017 (evening)… + read more
Labour Day Public Holiday
01 May 2017
QMDC's offices will be closed for the Labour Day Public Holiday. + read more