People across south-west Queensland are 'Talking Rubbish' with us in a bid to keep our roadside's clean.
Meet our Clean Up Champions (click names below):
- Allora's own Rio Olympian (Discus) Matthew Denny - and watch Matthew in action.
- Millmerran's Landcare Coordinator Bec Kirby
- Miles graziers and Landcare members Jack and Rose Asplin
- Nolan's Interstate Transport truck driver Paul Carrington
- Wallumbilla paralympian and personal trainer Darren Thrupp
- Goondiwindi Regional Councillor and businessman Cr Rob MacKenzie
Talking Rubbish helps South West QLD clean up its act
Studies have shown the amount of litter tossed onto South West Queensland’s highways has decreased by up to 82% in the past year in the wake of our major anti-litter education campaign targeting litter bug motorists.
A recent audit has revealed the accumulation rate of litter on the Warrego, Barwon, Carnarvon, Cunningham and Moonie highways fell from 4,121 pieces in early 2016 to 781 pieces in May 2017.
The New England Highway section north of the NSW border was the only roadside to show a slight increase in litter being dropped out of vehicle windows or at roadside stops.
Read about how we rolled out our campaign in this Media Release.
Let’s work together to keep our roadsides litter free:
- Keep your rubbish (including apple cores and food!) in your car
- Use bins provided at rest stops
- Join Clean Up Australia Day or a community clean up with QMDC (see the 'Want to help?' link below).
- Adopt-a-spot! A perfect opportunity for your work or community group to come together. Go straight to the website or call QMDC's Matthew Brown on 0427 982 149.
- See it, Report it, Stop it: Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
Want to help? Join a Community Clean Up!
Organise one! QMDC has a trailer full of bags, gloves, signs and water bottles, and can help you sort a permit. All you need is to identify a local litter hot spot. Send an email to QMDC's Matthew Brown on email@example.com or call 0427 982 149. Aternative contact is our Toowoomba office on: 07 4637 6200.
We'd like to thank Colquhouns - Specialists in bags and sacks - in Toowoomba, Queensland - for generously printing our Rethink Regional Rubbish collection bags.
'Talking Rubbish' as part of our 'Rethink Regional Rubbish' project - builds on the success of the South West Region Roadside Litter Project (SWRRLP) and continues our partnership with the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, the Australian Packaging Covenant and the six councils of the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin as members of the Regional Waste Group.
SWRRLP was the first targeted regional litter campaign in Queensland and produced a public education program known as 'Love Queensland, Let's keep it clean'. You can see permanent signage (as pictured below) roadside on our region's major highways.
Thank you to our campaign funding partners:
Thank you to the six regional councils who are supporting this campaign:
Grazing BMP Accelerated Program - Roma
21 June 2018
First day runs from 8am to 5pm Second day from 8am to 12:30pm Places limited and will fill fast Free event! Lunch and smokos provided. What is it?Grazing Best Management Practice is a voluntary online self-assessment tool… + read more
Maximising your Herd
25 June 2018
Join the discussion with Tim Emery (Tropical Beef Technology Services) and Roger Sneath (Senior Extension Officer, FutureBeef, DAF) on how to maximise your herd with genetics, available pasture and some simple records. TIME:… + read more
QMDC Members Meeting
06 July 2018
We invite members of the community to join our Member organisations to get an update on our activities and project highlights in the region. Your opportunity to meet our team, our Executive Committee and to give feedback… + read more